Author Topic: Current situation of One-Handed (Cut) Weapons.  (Read 532 times)

Online Kirman

• Duke
  • Renown: 603
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Kirman/Namrik/Anmirk
Current situation of One-Handed (Cut) Weapons.
« on: January 11, 2018, 10:26:07 PM »
+4
As build i'm using 21/15 and as a weapon i got (+3)Nordic Champion's Sword.  I've also tried (+0)blunt weapons and it seems like it is pointless to use a one-handed sword nowadays. What do you guys think? I don't wanna switch to blunt weapon cause they are short and my 5ath won't be enough. Also i know that my primary job is not damage dealing but yet i shouldn't be glancing that much or hit a guy 6-7 times to kill. I was thinking about 8ps but i'm still not sure. I might just quit being a shielder which sucks cause i really like to play as a shielder both ingame and on strat.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:07:13 PM by Kirman »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online HESKEYTIME

• King
  • Renown: 2020
  • Infamy: 407
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: HESKEYTIME
Re: Current situation of One-Handed (Cut) Weapons.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 12:06:07 AM »
+3
Dear sir,

I'm drunk, therefore my opinion matters.

As a proud polearmer with a delicate build carefully refined to the current meta, I was recently forced to use a 1slot weapon on my 13 PS main in a Strategus battle due to my team only having 3-slot ladders available after a point in the battle. Because of this I was forced to revert to my secret love, the 1h swashbuckler, and to my delight the attacking army had no shitty pierce or blunt 1handers but my dear breadknife Shaska, manliest of 1hs.

I am typically accustomed to utilising scummy agi-builds when I swashbuckle, and rely on abusing the thrust, so it was strange going to 0ath 13 PS. However, especially for held cut attacks on my mighty 13 PS character I noticed the ridiculous number of hits required to hit an enemy to take them down. Like they need to hit me a couple of times and I need to hit them 10+ times to get a kill? Ok that's an exaggeration. Wait, y'know what, I've decided I'm not exaggerating, it was ridiculous! Here I am, trying to show Butan that I actually know how to fight in Mount and Blade, and this shit's giving me no damage? But these fools need so few hits to kill me? Is this how it feels fighting against me as an agi-whore when I use my Great Long Bardiche?

It was a Strat battle, so full plate at +3 for everyone. But damn was the cut damage shitty. And the pierce... I was missing that sweet speed bonus. It is my firm assessment that anyone using a masculine 'cut' 1h weapon, especially without shield, deserves an arbitrary 300% damage increase.

Thank you and god-bless.

Heskey
"say some gangsta is pewin´ your fly girl, you just give em one of these:"

Offline BlackxBird

• Earl
  • Renown: 491
  • Infamy: 204
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eques :3
  • Game nicks: Eques_Black_Bird, Black_Bird_I-X
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 12:22:16 AM »
Take a warhammer. This thing does more dmg than the two handed warhammer. And dont worry about the range.

Online HESKEYTIME

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 12:23:09 AM »
+1
Take a warhammer. This thing does more dmg than the two handed warhammer

What's that got to do with the "Current situation of One-Handed (Cut) Weapons."

Offline BlackxBird

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 12:24:36 AM »
+1
What's that got to do with the "Current situation of One-Handed (Cut) Weapons."

One handed cut weapons are bullshit right now. Pretty simple. Take a steel pick or a warhammer, or weapons similar to them.

Online Kirman

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 12:31:09 AM »
+1
I'm using both NCS and Iberian Mace at the moment. Changing the weapon depending on stiuation but still i don't like the concept of blunt weapon.  However +0 Iberian Mace works much better than +3 NCS. Don't you think it's a problem?

Offline BlackxBird

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 12:36:48 AM »
Go 1H sword without a shield to be effective, with a shield u're just standing there doing nothing. Every crossbow with his lil mace does more dmg than u.

And tbh, no. I don't think it is a problem, as especially the blunt weapons are ridiculously op. Im partly loosing 80% hp just from one hit and basicly whenever they hit the head they knock u down. I mean like bar mace does 38 blunt dmg. Warhammer does 36.

Offline Arthur_

• Duke
  • Renown: 528
  • Infamy: 139
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Arthur
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 09:37:44 AM »
+1
One handed cut weapons are bullshit right now. Pretty simple. Take a steel pick or a warhammer, or weapons similar to them.

I took a Steel pick in a strat siege. Hit some tincans 4-5 Times over head and they dont die, then I get 2 or 3 hitted by a fucking 1h bar mace that doesnt even look like a real weapon. Maybe the armor buff was a bad idea also?

Jackie who?

Offline _Tamra_

• Game Admin
  • Renown: 257
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Greys & Druzhina & Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Tamra & Asha Campana
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 05:02:50 PM »
+2
I agree with blunt 1h weapons being weird, I can literally smash the shit out of everything with a warhammer while cut/pierce sucks ass in comparison.
Guess it's just the game.
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

“All I am surrounded by is fear. And dead men.”

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Offline Asheram

• Marshall
  • Renown: 935
  • Infamy: 96
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 05:06:46 PM »
I use a Side Sword on Skillless I dont understand the problem. He is 21/18 7ps 6 ath with135 1h wpf and 76 xbow and 6 shield. He was 21/18 recently without shield and had throwing and only 80 1h wpf and still didnt see a problem.
Except I dont really like using a shield so I fight with it sheathed till I hit a ranged nest.
For everything that could have been
At least we took the ride
There's no relief in bitterness
Might as well let it die

Online Kirman

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 05:11:26 PM »
It might be decent without a shield but i don't see the point on using a 1h sword without a shield unless  if you are crossbowman or something ranged. Try it with a shield.

Offline Asheram

• Marshall
  • Renown: 935
  • Infamy: 96
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 05:15:52 PM »
+1
It might be decent without a shield but i don't see the point on using a 1h sword without a shield unless  if you are crossbowman or something ranged. Try it with a shield.
Well I dont see the point of using a 1 h sword with a shield unless you are being pelted by more than 1 ranged at the same time. But that is my personal opinion as I dont like the shield mechanics.
For everything that could have been
At least we took the ride
There's no relief in bitterness
Might as well let it die

Offline Jona

• King
  • Renown: 1287
  • Infamy: 365
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 05:18:27 PM »
(click to show/hide)

I've always felt that having an agi build really helps 1h  builds (I only really use cut weps on my alt), not just to compensate for their shorter reach but it just seems like the speed bonus is that much more important for their damage output. Dunno why this is, could of course just be placebo. Also, unless you've got wpf in 1h on your polearm main, don't forget that 100 wpf allows you to output the "normal" amount of damage, while anything >100 wpf lets you deal more damage, and anything <100 reduces your damage. If someone has the graphs that show damage v. armor and how the damage falls off faster for cut than blunt/pierce I feel like that'd be helpful. I remember that higher values of cut were obviously not as good as med-high amounts of blunt/pierce, but far, far better than the lower cut values. For instance (disclaimer: I'm pulling these number out of my ass to try and make a point) 45 cut against plate dealt 30 damage, while 35 cut against plate dealt only 20ish, which is pretty abysmal when anyone in full plate probably has a str build and therefore a lot of hp.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Online HESKEYTIME

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 06:15:11 PM »
I've always felt that having an agi build really helps 1h  builds (I only really use cut weps on my alt), not just to compensate for their shorter reach but it just seems like the speed bonus is that much more important for their damage output. Dunno why this is, could of course just be placebo. Also, unless you've got wpf in 1h on your polearm main, don't forget that 100 wpf allows you to output the "normal" amount of damage, while anything >100 wpf lets you deal more damage, and anything <100 reduces your damage. If someone has the graphs that show damage v. armor and how the damage falls off faster for cut than blunt/pierce I feel like that'd be helpful. I remember that higher values of cut were obviously not as good as med-high amounts of blunt/pierce, but far, far better than the lower cut values. For instance (disclaimer: I'm pulling these number out of my ass to try and make a point) 45 cut against plate dealt 30 damage, while 35 cut against plate dealt only 20ish, which is pretty abysmal when anyone in full plate probably has a str build and therefore a lot of hp.

1h no shield benefits a lot from agi. In siege I saw 1h no shield wreck with warhammer with a Str build, but apart from that fairly niche situation the appeal of a swashbuckler is the movement, style, fast attacks and really mainly abusing those pierce thrusts. 1h cut have low damage values, unless you're going axe, so they really suffer vs the heaviest armours. Speed bonus helps and as you mentioned is essential given your lesser reach, but you'll still ideally hold attacks for a significant difference in damage. Something less important to cut 2h and cut pole.

That being said if 1h cut got a buff, then Fighting Axe would be even more god-tier. I should buy only Fighting Axe for my Strat army, it's the best weapon for every class.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1374
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 09:06:01 PM »
Tried cut 1h weapons, but they ended up a side arm to my 1h bar mace. 90% of the server is in plate now so if you arent swinging 40+ cut then it wont do. Blunt gets the job dont well though, makes 1h quite enjoyable. I've asked for 1h buffs before but i dont think we will get any. If pick up a stabby 1h you can get by though, just forget about swinging and use it as you would a spear.