Author Topic: Strat ideas  (Read 388 times)

Offline HESKEYTIME

• King
  • Renown: 2049
  • Infamy: 415
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
    • View Profile
    • Strategus Reset on Monday!!!
Strat ideas
« on: October 05, 2018, 08:14:45 PM »
+10
I have some Strat ideas. Since the other threads are locked, I'm posting them here. Strategus Councillors, James, Prof, anyone, feel free to use/take-credit-for/modify any of these ideas if you like them, otherwise feel free to ignore. I'll try not to repeat any that were already mentioned in the Strategus Council thread, a lot of great ideas there.

Preamble:
Strategus is still somehow the closest thing we have to that dream-game we all wanted when Warband first came out, a multiplayer Warband Campaign. Despite years of neglect, and years more of well-wishing individuals caring for it but being unable to make substantial changes to the spaghetti-code, Strategus is still somehow the best thing in the market for this genre. Sometimes I wonder how awesome it could have been if Strategus had seen continuous development since it was first created, but it didn't. Personally I'm amazed people are still playing it in 2018, well done to everyone involved. I'm not making suggestions so much because I personally believe the mod can grow massively at this stage or last years into the future, but I do still hope that someday somewhere someone's going to attempt to make either a standalone game or a mod for Bannerlord (if Bannerlord ever happens) that tries to give us our Multiplayer Warband Campaign, and when they do I'd like to think they'd look to Strategus in it's final state for inspiration, to learn from the things that worked and the things that didn't.

Strategus Council:
I like the idea behind having a Strategus Council, and I think everyone on that Council wants what's best for the game and have some really good ideas. There are a couple of blind suggestions I'd like to make up front for if you want to get the best out of this group of players (nobody wants it to end up as a seldom-used chat group that 2 or 3 people visit and only use for sharing memes etc). I have no idea how you're currently running it or planning to run it, so these are very general and you may have done them already:

1. Discuss and make sure everyone on the Council agrees upfront on the system you'll be using for decision-making (basically whether or not you decide an idea is "good" before Prof/whoever decides whether or not it can be achieved). Eg. Do you all vote? Do key members have an ultimate veto? If everyone understands and agrees to your process in advance they're likely to be more engaged, and it's likely to avoid drama further down the line.

2. Make sure the Council understands up-front the technical limitations. If Councillors join with big ideas but all Prof had in mind was just tweaking a few values, those Councillors will probably lose interest. As long as they know the extent of change you're looking at, the ideas they suggest are more likely to be worthy of discussion. DAVEUKR in his application mentioned he can code, it might make sense to scope out the kinds of changes Prof can make alone and then have some "stretch target" for ideas/suggestions that could possibly be implemented if you can find more people with the relevant knowledge and desire to help out.

3. Not every idea needs a technical solution or code change. Don't forget that there are plenty of people in the community willing to do the boring shit manually if necessary to make Strategus better. I'm going to quote what is IMO the most under-appreciated post on the Strategus Council thread, by Knute:
Quote from: Knute
Maybe there's a way to do it with minimal effort that might work well with the Gamemaster™ concept.

We had a round that started with factions owning fiefs after voting. Using the same mechanic, give the Gamemasters control of all the fiefs and access to the map before the round starts. They're now the AI faction. They could move around the map and set the PP, gear, troop numbers etc in all the fiefs then control the AI rosters once the round starts. Fiefs could now have themes instead of random gear and roster issues

Of the ideas below most of them stand alone, but some ideas have some decent synergy and should work well together. I'll try to highlight those cases.

1. Villages gain troops
(click to show/hide)

2. Strategus Exp/Levels/Skill-points
(click to show/hide)

3. Strategus round Rewards:
(click to show/hide)

4. Renown formula - change it!!!
(click to show/hide)

5. Strategus exp - change it!!!
(click to show/hide)

6. Make plate armour impossible to buy in bulk easily
(click to show/hide)

7. FAQ and tooltips on Strategus map
(click to show/hide)

Feel free to post below if you have any ideas of your own. Even with a Strategus Council I think the rest of us can continue to throw Strategus ideas out there, maybe some of them will be discussed or considered.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 08:22:26 PM by HESKEYTIME »
"say some gangsta is pewin´ your fly girl, you just give em one of these:"
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Yuhmaz

• Count
  • Renown: 294
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Strat ideas
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 08:20:29 PM »
I pity the ones that have wasted their time reading this non-sense.

Offline Dodosa

• Count
  • Renown: 151
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dodosa
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 09:52:45 PM »
+2
I pity the ones that have wasted their time reading this non-sense.
its a good thing people still trying to give good ideas to improve the gameplay my dude why so angry

Offline bensai

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 583
  • Infamy: 70
  • cRPG Player
  • Bᴏxɪɴɢ Cʜᴀᴍᴘ #ᴄRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Frisia
  • Game nicks: assington
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 10:24:55 PM »
+4
i agree with a lot of this bro and if it makes you feel any better about the council, I feel really fucking good about it, and I've never had a good feeling about cRPG idea teams. We have a list of nearly 40 topics, each one of which has a thread of its own in a new board and everyone is posting some good info and ideas.

practically everything you brought up here is on that list of topics, LOL, hopefully I am not breaking an NDA by saying this.

i think next strat will be really fresh

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1445
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 11:22:35 PM »
Sounds good to me mang. I like a lot of those ideas. I've been getting weary of strat and if there are fresh changes, I might not drop out of the next one like a lot of other people are doing. Strat is definitely fun but it wears on you with gear grind and no real good way of managing fiefs outside of keeping excel spreadsheets or winging it. Cutting that down would help immensely.

Offline Yuhmaz

• Count
  • Renown: 294
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 09:48:06 PM »
Where is the council now?

Offline HESKEYTIME

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 01:35:13 AM »
i agree with a lot of this bro and if it makes you feel any better about the council, I feel really fucking good about it, and I've never had a good feeling about cRPG idea teams. We have a list of nearly 40 topics, each one of which has a thread of its own in a new board and everyone is posting some good info and ideas.

practically everything you brought up here is on that list of topics, LOL, hopefully I am not breaking an NDA by saying this.

i think next strat will be really fresh

That's really good to hear. One good thing about having a fairly large council is that it increases the chances of one of you anticipating consequences that a suggested change might have.

I hope we can get some meaningful changes, now is the perfect time to try new things.

Offline bensai

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 583
  • Infamy: 70
  • cRPG Player
  • Bᴏxɪɴɢ Cʜᴀᴍᴘ #ᴄRPG
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Frisia
  • Game nicks: assington
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 05:42:19 AM »
That's really good to hear. One good thing about having a fairly large council is that it increases the chances of one of you anticipating consequences that a suggested change might have.

I hope we can get some meaningful changes, now is the perfect time to try new things.

it's really true. because we have to anticipate consequences that a change might have because of the way it plays off of ANOTHER change we are making, it's getting really intense and i feel like a physicist

Offline Zeus_

• Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 427
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HoC
  • Game nicks: Zeus, Jamer
  • IRC nick: Zeus?
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 05:23:38 PM »
I haven t read this yet, but I already know it’s gonna be a +1

Offline HESKEYTIME

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 05:03:52 PM »
I hope plate armour doesn't simply receive a price increase.

When we've done proportional price increases in the past, rather than changing player's behaviour or army compositions significantly it just led to players hoarding silver for longer until they could field the same armies as before.

It would be good if a more creative solution could be found. IMO price rises (without also changing player behaviour) just makes players even more reluctant to risk their days/weeks of trading by attacking something. On it's own a price increase just increases the amount of trade required to get the same volume of battles, which I dont think we want.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1352
  • Infamy: 375
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 05:07:23 PM »
+1
I hope plate armour doesn't simply receive a price increase.

When we've done proportional price increases in the past, rather than changing player's behaviour or army compositions significantly it just led to players hoarding silver for longer until they could field the same armies as before.

It would be good if a more creative solution could be found. IMO price rises (without also changing player behaviour) just makes players even more reluctant to risk their days/weeks of trading by attacking something. On it's own a price increase just increases the amount of trade required to get the same volume of battles, which I dont think we want.

Right. Ideally people just accept that plate is so expensive that it'll be a luxury rarely seen on the battlefield until later on (if at all), but old habits die hard and there will likely be still be some factions camping until they can march entirely shiny armies.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline HESKEYTIME

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 05:18:32 PM »
Right. Ideally people just accept that plate is so expensive that it'll be a luxury rarely seen on the battlefield until later on (if at all), but old habits die hard and there will likely be still be some factions camping until they can march entirely shiny armies.

I think a majority do that.

And how much more or less likely are you then to use the army in battle when it took you 2-4 times longer to assemble?

Ofc, any change that makes camping less powerful or rewards aggression more could change that balance. Equally anything making battles in general much more appealing to Strat players and mercs might make people eager to start fighting without first waiting weeks.

Offline njames89

• the Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 449
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2018, 07:27:25 PM »
Solid ideas. Most of it already being discussed.

Offline HESKEYTIME

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 01:12:55 PM »
+1
That's fun,

Topics from the hidden Strategus Councillor section of the forum show up on "Messages of the Week" if they get enough upvotes lol

Offline njames89

• the Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 449
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: King James IV, John IV, Temujin of the Wolves, William III
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2018, 01:23:05 PM »
That's fun,

Topics from the hidden Strategus Councillor section of the forum show up on "Messages of the Week" if they get enough upvotes lol

Oh how I N T E R E S T I N G a peek into our hidden exchanges