Author Topic: Donkey team no longer developing M:BG / OKAM  (Read 21666 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2458
  • Infamy: 600
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Donkey team no longer developing M:BG / OKAM
« Reply #165 on: April 20, 2017, 08:07:35 PM »
+1
Yeah it's a scam. We had some fun with them on discord a few days ago, they are fully aware that both their webpage and steampage are lies (such as saying that Epic is currently in the game). But right now it would be a "bad marketing decision" (their words) to fix the lies without having the new roadmap and showing what they plan to work on.

Obviously they're not gonna ever say that epic is done, because that would mean suicide.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1487
  • Infamy: 786
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 21, 2017, 11:55:12 AM »
+1
I don't know why any of you ever thought they'd be able to pull off what they promised. They were promising things that AAA studios wouldn't be able to do, with minimal experience and a tiny team, while being completely beholden to their investors because they have no money of their own.

The feature list read like a four year old's wish list after they just learn of Santa Claus, just pile on everything you can think of.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline HESKEYTIME

• King
  • Renown: 1981
  • Infamy: 406
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: HESKEYTIME
« Reply #167 on: April 21, 2017, 12:17:05 PM »
+2
12-8 months ago it was certainly naïve to promise so much, but it was honest naivety. You could get info from the forum or Discord and their intentions would be the same on public-facing media as it was in more direct correspondence.

The reason to be pissed now is not because they failed to deliver, it's because they're still promising the same things publicly in all the places where you could actually buy the game, but when asked directly in Discord they'll acknowledge that everything's out of date. Back to the last argument I had on that forum, It's all good and well for Pogosan to say 'It's no secret that...' but it's not like any of that information is stickied or replacing existing stickied threads that say the opposite.

That's where it transitioned from naïve over-reaching, to a straight-up scam. They concede it'd be bad for them if they were honest and open about the current direction of the game. Uther can downvote all he wants but that's criminal.

The only reason it's still worth talking about? There may be a couple of people on this forum that forgot to change their reviews to negative. And 20-something% of recent reviews are positive somehow, they clearly haven't been informed well enough.
"say some gangsta is pewin´ your fly girl, you just give em one of these:"
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 21, 2017, 12:38:43 PM »
+3
That's hilarious, saying "it's no secret that..." and then having official information that still promises things. So they're admitting to being scammers.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2458
  • Infamy: 600
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 21, 2017, 12:44:44 PM »
+2
I don't know why any of you ever thought they'd be able to pull off what they promised. They were promising things that AAA studios wouldn't be able to do, with minimal experience and a tiny team, while being completely beholden to their investors because they have no money of their own.

The feature list read like a four year old's wish list after they just learn of Santa Claus, just pile on everything you can think of.

Xant is right. Even back then I should've known what they were aiming for (with Epic) was so ridiculously beyond their scope, experience and capabilities. You have much larger and way more funded teams struggling to build such games. Open world sandbox MMOs are no joke. No idea why I didn't think of this back then. Fooled by the videos?

Offline HESKEYTIME

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 21, 2017, 01:17:46 PM »
+1
Xant is right. Even back then I should've known what they were aiming for (with Epic) was so ridiculously beyond their scope, experience and capabilities. You have much larger and way more funded teams struggling to build such games. Open world sandbox MMOs are no joke. No idea why I didn't think of this back then. Fooled by the videos?

Erm what are you talking about? I just read their website and it's already there in the game, haven't you read the 'About The Game' section of their forum?

You play as a character in a vast open world full of alliances and conflict, with an emphasis on player-driven experiences.
Colossal player-coordinated battles with over 200 players! They did it! There's always constant warfare for us to be involved in!

Brb gonna buy some more copies for my fri.... oh, you sneaky website you nearly tricked me again  :rolleyes:

Offline njames89

• NA Admin
  • Renown: 1203
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: Old King James of Acre, Thomas John Woodchurch, Temujin of the Wolves
« Reply #171 on: April 21, 2017, 01:26:33 PM »
I feel bad for the people who spent over 100$ buying multiple copies for friends/clanmates. I really lobby for taking down the fraudulent descriptions of the game that will never come to pass to ensure that this doesn't happen to more people.

(click to show/hide)

Our Father chadz who art in programming, Hallowed be thy code.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1704
  • Infamy: 318
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #172 on: April 21, 2017, 01:32:27 PM »
+1
At least they removed the misleading trailer from their Steam page.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 21, 2017, 01:56:33 PM »
The new devs are at the most going to get OKAM to a somewhat playable game, the bare minimum game that they can call "finished", then forget about it forever. There's so much negativity about it even on their own forums and the Steam reviews are horrible, it'd be insane to try to actually make a decent game out of it. That is, if the devs were even capable of making a decent game. Has GMG or whatever they're called ever made any?
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 21, 2017, 01:59:44 PM »
+4
@Ouki I can't say when yet, but I can tell that nothing was abandoned or cancelled and is still very much a desired goal, the only thing we can't do is officially say that it is 100% coming, because there are way too many things that could block it
Jericho, who's a project lead, said so himself

This kind of stuff would be weird to read from modders, but actual commercial developers saying shit like "yeah we would like to do X but we won't say it's coming because we dunno if we can even do it... but hey nothing is abandoned! All these far-fetched features still live in our dreams!"

@Ouki We discuss Epic internally, we love the idea but we need to be realistic about the deliverables in the short and mid term. It is not forgotten, but the shape, name and exact format to which it may take form in the furture will need to be thought about very very carefully. For now we want to concentrate making the best game we can.
Well, that's specific and reassuring. Epic isn't forgotten, but they haven't even discussed it yet, and the final product will have a different name, shape and format. That is, it will be something completely different. But they totally love the idea and it's not abandoned.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline njames89

• NA Admin
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Old King James of Acre, Thomas John Woodchurch, Temujin of the Wolves
« Reply #175 on: April 21, 2017, 02:16:35 PM »
There needs to be some kind of governing body for this field. Right now its the wild west of game development and the amount of snakeoil salesmen is ridiculous.

Steam really shouldn't be selling these projects that can't achieve even 30% of their promised features.

Offline HESKEYTIME

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 21, 2017, 02:39:17 PM »
+2
I'll go out on a limb and say if I brought a game into Steam Early Access, developed by me, and all I did was create a trailer and an exciting Steam page listing features that will be in the game but not actually make a game that can launch (just something that crashes instantly) with the normal Steam Early Access disclaimer all over it. I assume Steam would realise that was a piss-take and offer refunds or at least stop selling it.

But what's the cutoff? I repeat the above scenario but instead of no game, I make tick-tack-toe (no AI btw, you play as both o's and x's). Would Steam still draw the line and say 'that's nothing like what you promised' and take it down? Or would I be covered by the EA disclaimers?

What's the limit of Steam's patience for the 2nd scenario? I've got some time later, might be worth finding out.

Offline HESKEYTIME

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 21, 2017, 03:01:07 PM »
+2
http://ofkingsandmen.net/index.php/the-game/

Because clearly Pogosan was too busy to do it himself, I rewrote the page for free so that it actually describes what you can do in the game *now*.
Someone get him a copy of this quick so he can change it immediately!

(click to show/hide)

Offline njames89

• NA Admin
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 21, 2017, 03:02:11 PM »
+1
Let's make of Queens and Women and use your tic tac toe idea. I feel like being fraudulent today. I'll be your pogo and just continuously tell people not to get their hopes up and that great things are coming soon™

Offline HESKEYTIME

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 21, 2017, 03:04:09 PM »
+1
Let's make of Queens and Women and use your tic tac toe idea. I feel like being fraudulent today. I'll be your pogo and just continuously tell people not to get their hopes up and that great things are coming soon™

If you still have an Okam account or feel like going to Discord plz share my hard work above with Pogosan so that he can update the website. He must be too busy to rewrite it himself so I am being helpful.

----

About our fraud idea i'll speak to my peeps at Steam and see how much they'll let us get away with. Instead of telling people that great things are coming, it would be more efficient use of your time to post infrequently and try to imply that it's somehow the community's fault for getting expectations that my game would be as advertised on the Steam page.