Author Topic: Donkey team no longer developing M:BG / OKAM  (Read 28459 times)

Offline Porthos

• Marshall
  • Renown: 731
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • The February Patch Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Donkey team no longer developing M:BG / OKAM
« Reply #150 on: April 18, 2017, 09:38:04 PM »
+2
 :lol: honestly at all who spent their money and time for nothing :mrgreen:
Honestly, from the very beginning I was highly skeptical about this project. Some friends of mine know my thoughts, but I never expressed them on forums to do no harm with starting the pointless forum wars. My main suspicion was - how many things and features donkey team could carry out of those that they have announced in this topic. I mean, as an artistic person irl, I know that many things you imagine to do when you start your project, then drop off simply because you have not enough skill/time/budget/patience to do them all. So, there is (not always) a huge difference between your initial idea, and the final result.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 571
  • Infamy: 85
  • cRPG Player
  • horse for hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 18, 2017, 10:42:46 PM »
I can only guess, but I think OKAM ended up the way it is because of some issues with the sponsor. For me, the game failed and died the moment Donkeys left. But here's the thing: without sponsoring, DC would probably never get even this far. But with sponsoring, we have the current situation. Of course we can bring up what ifs and talk about how it should be done and how it could be perfect, but it's never perfect and all you can do now is learn from mistakes. If someone is still grieving after their 20 yuros or whatever it was, think about Donkeys and how they lost years of their work only to become "minor shareholders" of their own product.
(click to show/hide)

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1718
  • Infamy: 318
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #152 on: April 18, 2017, 11:12:20 PM »
+2
16 dollars for your time spent in cRPG leeching like a loser. Not sad about that part but I would be if I backed the game up when you could invest as an investor, before the KS campaign.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kadeth

• Game Admin
  • Renown: 680
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Calradian Confederacy
  • Game nicks: kadeth
« Reply #153 on: April 19, 2017, 12:05:40 AM »
+3
16 dollars for your time spent in cRPG leeching like a loser. Not sad about that part but I would be if I backed the game up when you could invest as an investor, before the KS campaign.

but it was worth it to become a gentleman and a scholar... r-r-right?
anime has nothing to do with autism.

Offline Kadeth

• Game Admin
  • Renown: 680
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Calradian Confederacy
  • Game nicks: kadeth
« Reply #154 on: April 19, 2017, 04:52:33 AM »
+8

soz yeldur but your review on GMG is hilarious in retrospect  :mrgreen:
anime has nothing to do with autism.

Offline HESKEYTIME

• King
  • Renown: 1991
  • Infamy: 406
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: HESKEYTIME
« Reply #155 on: April 19, 2017, 03:10:12 PM »
+3
In retrospect the history and shareholder situation of Warlock Wireless was always publicly available information. If we (or I) had been so inclined we could have easily dug up the fact that Donkeys didn't have majority control or ownership of the game since the investor got involved.

But from the start they said 'ignore Warlock Wireless, that's just us' and I dont know about the rest of you but I sure wasnt interested enough to check at the time until things got more interesting. I'm not even curious enough to look at the accounts the company will have to file this year which will give more detail about share distribution up until the end of 2016, and that would take seconds.
"say some gangsta is pewin´ your fly girl, you just give em one of these:"

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2466
  • Infamy: 601
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 19, 2017, 03:30:13 PM »
+4
I mean even if the info came out that Warlock Wireless was the majority owner, they would've said "it's just us, they let us run our project as we want". WW probably even told them that. But as with any real world business situation, if you're fucking up you can bet they're gonna step in.

What I wonder right now is why they decided to keep even a small development team working on it. I guess they thought they can still milk some cash off the game, which kinda requires you to give off the impression that the game is still being worked on. If it was me I'd just pull the plug, that game is done for good. As I said before, only a matter of time until the big boy investors look at the red numbers on the chart and see it's not worth it anymore.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 03:34:22 PM by Vibe »

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 19, 2017, 03:45:47 PM »
+5
OKAM atm feels kinda like a school workshop project you were unable to finish, and you took it home in a really shitty state and your handicapped dad decided to take over so you didn't have to throw away all that work, just to have a shitty crooked birdhouse covered in glue in your backyard.

Offline HESKEYTIME

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 19, 2017, 04:48:50 PM »
+1
What I wonder right now is why they decided to keep even a small development team working on it. I guess they thought they can still milk some cash off the game, which kinda requires you to give off the impression that the game is still being worked on. If it was me I'd just pull the plug, that game is done for good. As I said before, only a matter of time until the big boy investors look at the red numbers on the chart and see it's not worth it anymore.

Mmm, I mean minimum wage in the UK is £7.20 per hour assuming everyone's over 25. Even if they were paying their 4 - 5 person team minimum wage (experienced developers and project manager? ok), if they're working full-time (even like 6 hours a day for the sake of guessing low) that's £172.80 - £216 running cost per weekday just to keep the team employed. How many copies do they sell each day? (bearing in mind also that Steam gets a decent cut of each sale)

Not taking into account costs of keeping servers running, an office if they still have one and the fact my guesswork here is based on the lowest legal wage for a 4-5 person team working a not quite full workday, that's still roughly £1k a week.

Daedalus Partners LLP are an investment company not a charity. They must see potential profit in the future (sufficient to offset over £1k a week continuing development whilst sales remain lackluster) or they wouldn't be a very good investment company.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 04:55:38 PM by HESKEYTIME »

Offline Molly

• Event Manager
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 690
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #159 on: April 19, 2017, 05:09:21 PM »
+4
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 19, 2017, 06:56:15 PM »
+2
Anyone still pumping money into OKAM dev. time is clearly out of touch with reality if he / they hope to see profit from it.

Offline njames89

• the Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 383
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: Old King James of Acre, Thomas John Woodchurch, Temujin of the Wolves
« Reply #161 on: April 19, 2017, 07:51:19 PM »
+3
Anyone still pumping money into OKAM dev. time is clearly out of touch with reality if he / they hope to see profit from it.

Some sick, twisted, and masochistic part of me is still hoping for the epic.

(click to show/hide)

Don't get me wrong though I would rather play CRPG by a mile and am just waiting for chadz to patch the game like he said he would or give Dupre control.

(click to show/hide)

Our Father chadz who art in programming, Hallowed be thy code.

Offline Lord_Carlos

• Baron
  • Renown: 97
  • Infamy: 4
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 20, 2017, 01:41:39 PM »
+2
Good that I dont buy OKAM. hope crpg comes back on Bannerlord.

And Bannerlord comes in 10 years out :?

Offline HESKEYTIME

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 20, 2017, 05:49:35 PM »
+1
Seeing this unsightly thing in my Steam library is an affront. Momma told me never to tell a lie, OKAM's Momma would be turning in her grave to see this still printed front-and-centre on their page on Steam, centimetres from the 'buy this game' button:

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“Of Kings and Men is planned to release the final version and leave Early Access after 1.5 to 2 years”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
“The combat system will be extended to feature Horses, Squads, Crossbows, Spears and Throwing weapons, as well as Siege Engines
Players will be able to design their own weapons by combining different parts.
The game will hold tournaments and competitions with ranking systems
Players can work together to build castles, establish diplomatic relations to other player factions, implement a feudal hierarchy (with a few players playing as Kings), running large player-built cities, run industries, command an NPC workforce, trade, upgrade production cycles, and fight as mercenaries for the different factions.”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“At Early Access, the game contains the combat system and various game modes for it, as well as an early implementation of the war system; which will allow players to recruit armies, wage war against other kingdoms, and fight as a soldier or mercenary within those battles.”

Halfway through EA and still don't have everything they said would be in at the launch of EA.

And look at the list of promises of things that *will* absolutely be in the full game. Wowee! Customisable weapons from parts? Players working together to build castles? Running large player-built cities? Run industries? NPC workforce?

... new devs do know that this is how the full version is still described on Steam right? Or are they waiting for people to talk to them on Discord about it one by one?

Also Momma would slap me if I told a lie like:

WHAT THE DEVELOPERS HAVE TO SAY:

None of the people who wrote the text that follows are developing the game, so they are not 'the developers' of the game currently being sold.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 05:55:50 PM by HESKEYTIME »

Offline njames89

• the Leaf
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 383
  • cRPG Player
  • Deus vult, Dieu le veut, God wills it.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kingdom of Acre, The Holy Chadzian Empire
  • Game nicks: Old King James of Acre, Thomas John Woodchurch, Temujin of the Wolves
« Reply #164 on: April 20, 2017, 07:38:42 PM »
Vibe and I have heavily shitposted the OKAM discord with the problems you describe Heskey. They claim that they just don't want to remove it and replace it with nothing.

Obvious bullshit. They are straight up scamming people.

Our Father chadz who art in programming, Hallowed be thy code.